India’s Asia Cup-winning captain, Rohit Sharma, will be available for selection for Mumbai in the Vijay Hazare Trophy quarterfinals.
While the official selection is scheduled on Wednesday, sources have indicated that Sharma will feature in the fixture, where Mumbai is most likely to take on Bihar — the group-topper from the Plate Division.
Coached by Vinayak Samant, Mumbai has topped the Group A and remained unbeaten in the League stage and two of the matches were washed out.
“He (Rohit) will feature in the quarterfinals. It will be a big boost to Mumbai,” a senior official said.
Sportstar understands that Sharma will join the team on the Thursday and will feature in the quarterfinal. There is a possibility of seeing him opening the batting for Mumbai.
Sources have indicated that Sharma may feature in the semifinals too, if the team makes the cut.
The quarterfinals for the tournament will start on October 14, with the semifinals on October 17 and 18 and the final on Saturday October 20. All the fixtures will be held in Bengaluru.
Sharma, who has had a great run in the limited-overs cricket lately, has been left out of the Test squad and while India gears up for the second Test against the West Indies in Hyderabad, Sharma will play the Vijay Hazare quarterfinals in a bid to get ready for the limited-overs series that follows the Test series.
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 1: Toss updates, streaming info; Under fire England eyes comeback
- Our failures don’t define us, says Sneh Rana as Gujarat Giants looks to turn tide in WPL 2024
- IND vs ENG 4th Test Dream11 Prediction: India vs England predicted playing XI, fantasy team, squads
- IPL 2024 schedule announced for first 21 games: Full list of matches, fixtures, dates, venues, timings in IST
- WPL 2024: Fatima Jaffer, the fascinating story of a rare ambidextrous bowler