South Africa seamer Lungi Ngidi will play no part in a three-match home Twenty20 International series against India that starts on Sunday and is in a race to be fit for the opening test of the tour that begins on December 26.
Ngidi, 27, has a left lateral ankle sprain and will be replaced in the T20 squad by Beuran Hendricks, who made the last of his 19 appearances in the T20 format for South Africa against Ireland in July 2021.
The 33-year-old Hendricks will vie for the specialist seamer role in the side with the less experienced Ottniel Baartman, Nandre Burger, Gerald Coetzee and Lizaad Williams. South Africa has rested premier fast bowler Kagiso Rabada for the series.
India’s tour will start with three T20 matches in Durban, Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth) and Johannesburg. It will then switch format for three One Day Internationals between December 17 to 21, played in the latter two venues and Paarl.
The first test will start on December 26 in Pretoria, with the second on January 3 at Newlands in Cape Town.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: IND 38/0; Rohit, Jaiswal attack in chase of 192
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Rohit Sharma completes 4000 runs in Tests
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Saurashtra loses 7 vs TN; Baroda concedes lead to Mumbai
- Yathiraj, Pramod and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Fighting knock from fighter’s son: Dhruv Jurel walks in footsteps of father, a Kargil War veteran