Bartra undergoes wrist surgery after bus attack

Spain international Marc Bartra underwent wrist surgery after being injured when the Borussia Dortmund team bus was rocked by a series of explosions that forced the postponement of its Champions League match against Monaco.

The team bus of the Borussia Dortmund football club seen after it was damaged in an explosion.   -  Getty Images

Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra underwent a wrist surgery after being injured when the Dortmund team bus was rocked by a series of explosions.

The explosions led to the match being delayed.

Dortmund’s press spokesman confirmed the 26-year-old Bartra needed an operation on his right wrist.

“Marc Bartra will be operated on, he has broken the radius (bone) in his right wrist and there are foreign bodies in the arm,” said Sascha Fligge.

“The Borussia family has shown that we close ranks in difficult times and that’s what we also want to do for Marc.”

A police spokesman confirmed that Bartra’s status had been changed from ‘lightly’ to ‘badly injured’

Fligge said that with Dortmund scheduled to play Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga on Saturday, before next Wednesday’s return leg at Monaco, there was no alternative but to reschedule the first leg for Wednesday.

The Dortmund spokesman also confirmed the team bus had strengthened glass in its windows, but the force of the blasts still shattered several panes.

The footballing community too came out in Bartra's support with leading players and clubs sending their regards for the Spanish defender.

 

  Dugout videos