Ballon d’Or winner Karim Benzema scored the winning goal as he made his debut for Saudi Champion Al-Ittihad in its 2-1 win over Tunisian side Esperance in the Arab Club Champions Cup.
After netting an angled shot from outside the box in the second half on Thursday, the Frenchman told the Saudi SSC television channel, “It was a strong match and a good start after hard work in preparation. Little by little we will build a great team.”
Benzema, who joined Al-Ittihad as a free agent after a trophy-laden 14 years at Real Madrid, went to greet the cheering fans with his new teammate and compatriot N’golo Kante.
“The atmosphere is amazing and the fans motivated the team from the first minute until the end,” he added.
“We are in good shape and we will continue to work to reach the required level, and we know that with this support we can achieve great things, thanks to the fans.”
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualification: AFC qualifying explained, format for Asia, can India qualify?
- IND vs AUS T20Is: David Warner withdraws from series, Aaron Hardie named replacement
- China Masters 2023: Satwik-Chirag through to second round
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Preview, analysis and key players
- England can be proud of Euro 2024 qualifying campaign, says Kane