Subha Ghosh's solitary goal fetched Mohun Bagan a much-needed win against Rainbow Club in the Calcutta Football League Premier Division 'A' at the Kalyani Stadium on Sunday.
Recovering from its loss to Aryan Club in the previous outing, Bagan recorded its fourth victory in eight matches to tie with table topper Peerless SC on 14 points and rise to the second spot.
Following a goalless first period, Ghosh headed in Joseba Beitia's corner kick to score the all-important goal in the 65th minute.
Match highlights: Mohun Bagan 1-0 NBP Rainbow
After taking the lead Bagan intensified its attack, but could not breach the Rainbow defence again.
Rainbow showed aggression in the closing quarter, but Bagan goalkeeper Debjit Majumder made some fine saves to ensure full points for the Mariners.
- IFA reduces penalty -
Meanwhile, the Indian Football Association (IFA) has reduced the penalty of East Bengal players and coaches following an appeal from the club .
Players Lalrindika Ralte and Mehtab Singh, who have already served a one-match suspension, will pay a fine of Rs 75,000 each instead of Rs 1 lakh.
Manager Debraj Chowdhury and goalkeeping coach Abhra Mondal will pay Rs 75,000 instead of serving one-year suspension.
Calcutta Football League: Full fixture list
Latest on Sportstar
- Kiran George, the giant-killer at Thailand Open, outperforms expectations
- Ajax will not extend coach Heitinga’s contract after season
- French Open 2023: Andreeva, 16, into last 32 and potential Gauff clash
- Indian sports news wrap, June 1
- India vs Pakistan Live Score, Junior Asia Cup: Men in Blue one win away from title defence; starting lineups, streaming info