Simone Inzaghi can already see his Inter Milan team in next month’s Champions League final after an impressive 2-0 win over city rival AC Milan in the last four on Wednesday.
Inter needs to avoid a collapse in the second leg of its all-Italian tie in order to reach a clash with either Real Madrid or Manchester City in Istanbul.
And Inzaghi was in a confident mood after watching his team dominate the first leg, missing several chances to make the scoreline humiliating for its cross-town rival.
“We played a brilliant first half, but it’s a tight scoreline for what we did out there,” Inzaghi told reporters.
“Then in the second half we managed the game well. Apart from (Sandro) Tonali’s shot (which hit the post) the boys did great in covering the whole pitch.
“It’s a hugely positive night which gives us a lot of satisfaction but we’re missing one more piece to attain a dream that we believed in since August.
“There are still seven days left. We know we’ve got one more small step to go.”
Milan could have star man Rafael Leao back for Tuesday’s second leg after the Portugal winger missed Wednesday’s match with a thigh injury.
Leao is crucial to Milan’s attack and his absence made Inter’s job that much easier, but Inzaghi isn’t worried about the 23-year-old’s potential return next week.
“We have played loads of derbies with Leao playing and without him playing,” said Inzaghi.
“He’s a great player who is very important for them but it won’t change our plan for the match.”
- Pakistan vs Sri Lanka LIVE Colombo weather updates, Asia Cup 2023: Rain delays toss; qualification scenarios
- Pakistan vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Rain continues as PAK vs SL toss delayed
- Man United signs Spain World Cup winner Guerrero from Atletico Madrid
- ENG vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Record Stokes ton leads England to huge win over New Zealand
- Asia Cup: Indian batters aim to solve spin woes ahead of the 2023 World Cup