Georginio Wijnaldum's stunning brace in as many minutes propelled Liverpool to a spectacular 3-0 lead in the second leg of their Champions League semifinal clash against Barcelona at Anfield on Tuesday.
The twin strikes made Wijnaldum the first Liverpool substitute since Ryan Babel in 2007 to score two goals in a Champions League match. He also became the first substitute to score a brace against Barcelona in the Champions League.
The 28-year-old has made 34 appearances for the Reds in the Premier League this season and scored thrice, including a fantastic goal against Bournemouth in February .
His brace also makes him the second Dutchman since Phillip Cocu to score multiple goals in a Champions League semifinal match.
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Indrajith steps up again as Tamil Nadu asserts control over Saurashtra on Day 2