Olivier Giroud said Tuesday that he has a young man’s hunger for European success ahead of AC Milan’s all-Italian Champions League semifinal with Inter Milan.
Veteran France striker Giroud won the competition with Chelsea in 2021 and wants to continue his Indian summer at Milan with another triumph after winning the Serie A title last season.
Milan hosts local rival Inter on Wednesday in the first leg of the biggest local derby the Italian city has seen for nearly two decades.
“I’m motivated more than ever. For me it’s a big opportunity to win it again. Almost 37 years old but still hungry like a young boy,” Giroud told reporters.
“In football it’s never good to underestimate the others. I know what I’m talking about. At that level every single game is very tough and it’s on small margins, small details, that you win it.”
Giroud was a key figure in Milan’s league title win this time last year and this season has netted five times in his team’s impressive run to a blockbuster derby in the last four.
He scored the decisive goal which sent Milan through at the expense of Napoli, which last week dethroned the seven-time king of Europe as champion of Italy.
‘Just want to dream’
Milan is gunning for its first Champions League final since the last time it won the competition back in 2007.
“We are focused on Inter and we just want to dream,” added Giroud.
“This club is special... Last year I couldn’t hope for better than to win the Scudetto first year and in the second year still be in the race for the top four and in a semifinal of the Champions League. I’m very proud of this team.”
- Atletico Madrid extends contract of coach Diego Simeone to 2027
- New Zealand test cricketer Henry Nicholls to face ball tampering charge
- Europa League 2023: West Ham secures late win over Olympiakos, Marseille beats AEK
- Europa League 2023: Liverpool loses 3-2 at Toulouse; Brighton beats Ajax
- SA vs AFG head-to-head record in ODIs: South Africa vs Afghanistan overall stats ahead of ICC World Cup 2023 match