Liverpool took a firm grip of its Champions League tie with Benfica as goals from Ibrahima Konate, Sadio Mane and Luis Diaz earned it a 3-1 victory in Lisbon in its quarter-final first leg on Tuesday.
Konate opened the scoring with a close-range header from a corner and Mane extended Liverpool's lead 30 minutes into what was an one-sided first half, with Mohamed Salah, Diaz and Naby Keita all passing up great scoring chances.
AS IT HAPPENED |
Yet five minutes after the break, 22-year-old French defender Konate completely missed a cross and allowed in-form striker Darwin Nunez to score and put Benfica, roared on by a sold-out Estadio da Luz, back into the game.
Benfica gained in confidence and briefly took charge but former Porto winger Diaz, who never lost a match against its bitter rival Benfica, scored on the counter-attack after a Keita through ball.
- Al Raed vs Al Nassr LIVE Score: ALR 0-2 NAS, Mane, Talisca scores, Ronaldo comes close from free-kick, Saudi Pro League
- Messi misses Miami’s Atlanta trip due to fatigue - reports
- Manchester City storms back to beat West Ham 3-1
- Bundesliga: Hummels double gives Dortmund 4-2 win at Freiburg
- Bangladesh recalls Mahmudullah and Tamim for New Zealand ODI series