Women’s World Cup player of the tournament Aitana Bonmati and her Spain teammate Jenni Hermoso were on Thursday nominated for the FIFA Best Player award, with six of Manchester City’s treble winners named on the men’s list.
Bonmati and three of her World Cup-winning teammates, including Hermoso, were among the 16 nominees for women’s best player.
Hermoso has been in the spotlight recently after being forcibly kissed on the lips by Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales following the World Cup final win over England in Sydney.
The disgraced Rubiales has since resigned from the post and is due in court on Friday on sexual assault charges.
Manchester City strikers Erling Haaland and Julian Alvarez and midfielders Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernardo Silva are all in contention for the men’s prize.
Ilkay Gundogan, who won the treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League with City before leaving for Barcelona, was also nominated.
Last year’s winner Lionel Messi made the cut as well after his recent good form for MLS club Inter Miami.
Controversial World Cup-winning Spain coach Jorge Vilda, who has since been sacked, was left off the shortlist for best women’s coach.
Man City boss Pep Guardiola, Inter Milan coach Simone Inzaghi and Ange Postecoglou, who joined Tottenham from Celtic in the close season, are on the men’s list.
FIFA Best Nominees
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Ancelotti praises ‘stupendous’ Bellingham after El Clasico double
- Neuer ‘happiest ever’ after strong Bundesliga comeback for Bayern
- La Liga 2023-24: Bellingham double allows Real to fight back and win Clasico at Barcelona
- Saudi League 2023-24: Al Nassr beats Al Fayha, Ronaldo assists Talisca brace
- AUS vs NZ, World Cup 2023: Travis Head moves past injury blues with blistering ton