England women’s football team head coach Sarina Wiegman won the UEFA Women’s Coach of the Year award and dedicated her award to the World Cup-winning Spanish women’s national football team at The Grimaldi Forum in the Principality of Monaco, on Thursday.
“We all know the issues around the Spanish team, and it really hurts me as a coach, as a mother of two daughters, as a wife and as a human being,” Wiegman said after receiving her award.
“Women’s football has grown so much. But, there is still such a long way to go in women’s football and in society. And, I would like to dedicate this award to [the] Spanish team, the team that played in the World Cup, such great football that everyone enjoys,” Wiegman added.
“This team deserves to be celebrated and deserves to be listened to, and I am going to give them again a big applause and I hope you would join me,” said Wiegman addressing the audience at the Grimaldi Forum.
The Spanish women’s football team is surrounded by controversy after their World Cup win after federation president Luis Rubiales kissed player Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the post-match celebrations and also grabbed his crotch. The move drew widespread criticism.
There were calls for Rubiales to step down from his post, but the Spanish football federation boss refused to do so.
After that, in a joint statement sent via their FUTPRO union, all 23 of the cup-winning squad, including Hermoso, as well as 32 other squad members, said they would not play internationals, while Rubiales remains head of the Spanish football federation (RFEF).
As per the latest development, FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee has provisionally suspended Spanish Rubiales for 90 days, beginning from August 26. It also ordered Rubiales and RFEF officials and employees alike to refrain from contacting or attempting to contact Hermoso or those around her.
- U-19 World Cup Final, IND vs AUS LIVE Score: Harjas, Hicks eye quick rebuild after Tiwari gives India two breakthroughs; AUS 120/3 (27)
- AUS vs WI, 2nd T20I: Glenn Maxwell scores fifth international T20 hundred; equals Rohit Sharma’s record
- IND vs ENG, 3rd Test: England spinner Jack Leach ruled out of India tour
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Jammu & Kashmir bowls out Pondicherry for 67 in 87-run chase
- Bundesliga: Mueller says Bayern lacked courage in Leverkusen defeat