Cristiano Ronaldo claimed a goal in the 54th minute of Portugal’s game against Uruguay but the goal was subsequently credited to teammate Bruno Fernandes.
Bruno Fernandes crossed the ball from the left side of the pitch and Ronaldo jumped the highest as the ball went into the goal. Replays later showed that Ronaldo had just missed connecting with the ball.
The goal would have levelled the former Real Madrid with Eusebio as Portugal’s highest goal scorer at World Cups. He would also have surpassed Lionel Messi in their race to more World Cup goals.
Announcement in the stadium credited the goal to Bruno Fernandes even as the official scorecard mentioned Ronaldo as the scorer.
The score line was later ratified and the goal official given to Bruno’s name. Here is how social media reacted to the incident:
Ronaldo’s friend is certain that it was Ronaldo’s goal:
Only a striker will get it:
Cricketer Chris Woakes has a cheeky take on the decision:
Bruno’s current club (and Ronaldo’s former club) has its say:
This former Turkish footballer has some questions for FIFA:
Help was offered to Piers Morgan. Will he take it?
The Andy Murray vs Piers Morgan saga continues:
It was evident that was Bruno’s goal, this one thinks:
Would be an interesting meeting, don’t you think?
This one thinks that Ronaldo’s hair touched the ball:
The term ‘Hair of God’ started trending on Twitter shortly after the incident:
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 2: IND 25/1; Jaiswal, Gill combine after Rohit falls early
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores 150 vs Baroda; TN loses 3 vs Saurashtra
- WPL 2024: Sajana smashes last-ball six as Mumbai Indians seals dramatic opener vs Delhi Capitals
- League Cup final officials must avoid Liverpool bias, says Pochettino
- Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United to take part in U.S. summer series