Chennai City scored a goal in each half as it beat Churchill Brothers 2-0 to record its first win in the Hero I-League, here today. Chennai City dominated the match and created several scoring chances. Jean Michael Joachim (45+1 minute) and Murilo Almedia (51st minute) were the scorers for Chennai City.
Debutant Chennai City has four points from five matches, while Churchill Brothers remains winless and is at the bottom of the table after five outings.
Desperately seeking a win to come out of the drop zone, both teams started on an attacking note.
Hoss Churchill Brothers played short passes but was found wanting in the danger zone, helping Chennai City to dictate terms. The visiting team created more scoring chances but was unlucky twice as the ball hit the woodwork.
Soosai Raj, who was a livewire upfront, threatened the rival defence with good crosses but their strikers could not capitalise.
An unmarked Jean Michael Joachim had a great chance to score in the 14th minute, but he headed out Vanspaul’s cross.
The striker made amends for his earlier lapse when he got the better of a rival defender before slotting the ball into the net past goalkeeper James Kithan off a long ball from Veniamin Shumeiko.
Chennai City looked well organised in the midfield and defence. It doubled the lead when Murilo Almedia, who got the ball inside the box, fooled his marker and unleashed a left-footer that found the back of the net.
Churchill Brothers, which put up an impressive performance against East Bengal in its last match, looked a pale shadow today as it lacked urgency in attack and allowed the visiting team to dictate terms.
The home team was reduced to 10 men when Banpynkhrawnam Nongkhlaw received his second yellow for a foul on Jesuraj in the 66th minute.
- DC-W vs GG-W live score, WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals 117/4 (14); Lanning, Jemimah fall in quick succession; Meghna takes three
- Shardul Thakur laments lack of rest between Ranji Trophy matches, calls for better scheduling
- WPL 2024: Wounded RCB hopes to provide some cheer to crowd, takes on UP Warriorz in last home game
- Manchester derby LIVE: Man City vs Man United, MCI v MUN, Starting lineups in, Premier League updates
- Olympic Boxing Qualifier 2024: Deepak goes down fighting on opening day against Nijat of Azerbaijan