Mohun Bagan found two goals in the second half to down visiting Shillong Lajong FC 2-0 here at the Salt Lake Stadium on Sunday. The win took Mohun Bagan to the fifth spot in the I-League standings with 15 points from nine outings.
The opening half belonged to Mohun Bagan, which had control of the ball for majority of the action. With Henry Kisseka and Aser Dipanda Dicka showing the eagerness in Bagan attack, the host had its first good chance in the 16th minute when Dicka made a fine attempt after chesting down a cross from the left. But Lajong goalkeeper Phurba Lachenpa pulled off a nice save to deny the Cameroonian’s effort.
The Lajong FC custodian had a busy time under the bar as he came out to make another fine save in the 20th minute when Bagan’s Egyptian midfielder Omar Elhusseiny fired a powerful drive from top of the box. Lachenpa’s third save came in the 38th minute from Kisekka's attempt, who got better of two Lajong defenders but failed to get past the former.
Bagan, finally, broke the deadlock in the 47th minute when Abhishek Ambekar floated the ball across from the left to find Lajong defender Aibanbha Dohling clearing it on to the feet of Yuta Kinowaki. The Japanese midfielder curled the ball into the net past a scrambled Lajong defence to give Bagan the lead. Sankar Roy pulled off a fantastic save in the 53rd minute when Samuel Kynshi sneaked into the Bagan box looking to make the most of a fine counter-attack by Lajong FC.
Bagan found the insurance goal at the hour mark when a long ball from substitute Mehtab Hossain to the edge of the box set up Dipanda for a shot. The Cameroonian's attempt deflected off Lajong defenders Dohling and Kynsailang Khongsit to reach Kisseka, who managed to slide the ball home through a jungle of legs on the Lajong FC goalmouth.
- Kerala Blasters vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE score, ISL 2023-24: KBFC v JFC updates; When, where to watch; Kick-off at 8 PM IST
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, October 1: Tajinderpal, Avinash Sable win gold; Harmilan, Ajay, Jinson win 1500m medals; Sreeshankar wins long jump silver; Nikhat Zareen wins bronze; India 2-1 China in men’s badminton final
- Asian Games 2023: Nandini Agasara wins bronze in women’s heptathlon
- IND vs NED, ODI World Cup warm-up: Team India arrives in Kerala for Netherlands game; Virat Kohli to reach later
- Welteji and Kessler set world records to win road mile titles