In a big boost to ATK Mohun Bagan's backline, India's ace central defender Sandesh Jhingan on Thursday rejoined his former club after mutually terminating his contract with Croatian side, HNK Sibenik.
The 28-year-old was a vital cog in the Mariners' defence when it made to the final of the previous ISL season but before the last transfer window, he joined the Croatian outfit -- a first for any Indian footballer.
But the former Kerala Blasters defender was dogged by a recurring calf injury and failed to make a single appearance for the Prva HNL outfit, prompting him to return to his former club.
ALSO READ |
"Sandesh Jhingan is back, the story continues," the club posted on its Twitter handle.
"He will play the rest of the season in green-and-maroon jersey, giving a big boost to the defence of (ATKMB coach) Juan Ferrando," the club said in a statement.
Jhingan had formed a solid backline with Tiri in the last season.
While Jhingan was away, Tiri was recovering from an injury as the team slipped to the bottom half after winning the first two matches, leading to the departure of its most successful coach, Antonio Lopez Habas.
ATK Mohun Bagan won its first two matches under Ferrando, before dropping points in the last game. The club is placed third after nine rounds, in the 11-team standings.
- BAN vs NZ: Mushfiqur Rahim becomes first Bangladesh batter out handling the ball, 11th overall
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info
- NBA: LeBron James leads Lakers to In-Season Tournament semifinals with win over Suns
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup
- Men’s Volleyball Club World C’ship 2023: All you need to know, preview, schedule, live streaming info