Rodri conceded Manchester City "suffered" in its pursuit of a third successive EFL Cup title, which his controversial goal ultimately secured.
Pep Guardiola's side earned a 2-1 win over Aston Villa at Wembley on Sunday, Rodri having headed in his side's second from a corner that should not have been awarded.
Mbwana Samatta's goal before the interval – following a calamitous error from John Stones – ensured it was no walk in the park for City, which survived a late Villa barrage that included an almighty scare when Claudio Bravo turned Bjorn Engels' late header onto the post.
It would have been harsh for City to concede a leveller given its general dominance of the match, but Rodri confided that it had been a tough battle.
"We know they are a really tough team because they are really tall and strong, so we knew we could never give up," he told Sky Sports .
"I'm happy for the team because it's tough being here. I think they scored because of our mistake.
"At the end, we suffered a little bit but I think we had enough chances to score more goals, but we are happy for the team.
"It's the second title for us [after the Community Shield] so we are very happy."
Phil Foden, who was excellent for City, echoed his team-mate's sentiments regarding the challenge posed by relegation-threatened Villa, and rejoiced in his own input, which included an assist for Sergio Aguero's opener.
"I have to say fair play to Aston Villa, they gave us a really good game," he said.
"When I play, every minute counts, so I try and do my best and I'm very proud of my performance.
"You look at players like Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva, who are great, so when I get into the team I have to make the most of it."
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST