Hamsik's Chinese Super League move postponed

Napoli has made the decision to halt Marek Hamsik's move to China over an issue related to the structure of the transfer agreement.

Marek Hamsik has asked to leave Napoli after 12 years at the club.   -  Getty Images

Napoli has announced it has postponed Marek Hamsik's transfer to the Chinese Super League due to concerns about the payment of the transfer fee.

The 31-year-old had been expected to complete a move to Dalian Yifang for a fee in the region of €15 million this week.

READ | Juve's Sturaro joins Genoa permanently for €16.5m

However, Napoli has called a halt to the deal, blaming a problem with the agreed "payment methods", although it did not specify with which club in China it has been negotiating.

"Napoli have decided to suspend the sale of Marek Hamsik to the Chinese because the methods of payment of the agreed amount do not line up with the agreements previously reached," the club said in a statement.

There is no indication as to whether the deal has collapsed entirely or if Hamsik's move may still go ahead. The Chinese transfer window is open until February 28.

ALSO READ | PSG youngster Bernede to join Red Bull Salzburg

Napoli head coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed last week that Hamsik had asked to leave Napoli after 12 years at the club.

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis said of the club's record goalscorer: "I have told Hamsik that this is his home. Even if he wants to come back, we'll be happy to welcome him back. It's a beautiful story. He has always done his duty. He is impeccable."

  Dugout videos