Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez became the first players to breach the 20-goal mark in CONMEBOL qualifiers history when they helped Argentina and Uruguay achieve World Cup qualification on Tuesday.
The Barcelona forwards are now the joint highest goal-scorers in the South American World Cup qualifiers with 21 goals each.
The pair needed to fire on the night to ensure their teams booked their seats for the finals in Russia next year. In the process of their exploits, they overtook former Argentina striker Hernan Crespo's tally of 19 goals.
While Messi scored a hat-trick - his first in World Cup qualifying - in the Albiceleste's 3-1 come from behind win over Ecuador , Suarez scored a brace in his team's 4-2 win against Bolivia .
Final CONMEBOL standings
- PKL LIVE Score, Bengaluru Bulls vs Dabang Delhi KC: Saurabh’s Bengaluru faces Naveen’s Delhi, Puneri Paltan vs U Mumba at 9; When, where to watch Pro Kabaddi League 2023?
- Indian sports news wrap, December 8
- Women’s Premier League Auction, Live Streaming: When and where to watch WPL 2024 Auction?
- Premier League: Arsenal manager Arteta says it’s hard to curb celebrations in big moments
- London to host The Best FIFA Football Awards 2024