Mohun Bagan Super Giant on Sunday announced the signing of Indian national team defender Anwar Ali on loan from Delhi FC. The player joins on a four-year loan deal from his parent club.
“The Warrior Arrives! Anwar Ali is a Mariner!” Mohun Bagan wrote on its Twitter page, sharing a video collage of the defender’s journey through Indian football.
Anwar played the 2022–23 domestic season for FC Goa on loan from Delhi FC.
The 22-year-old from Punjab was key to Igor Stimac-coached India’s recent surge in international football that saw the South Asian side stay unbeaten in 11 consecutive games at home and win three tournaments in four months: the Tri-Nation series in March, the Intercontinental Cup in June, and the SAFF Championship in July.
Anwar, who started his career with Minerva Punjab, was also part of the India U-17 team that played in the FIFA U-17 World Cup held in India. Apart from the U-17 side, he played for the India U-20 and U-23 sides.
However, a heart alignment in 2019 saw AIFF ban him from playing before the Delhi High Court announced a verdict in the player’s favour, allowing him to ply his trade in professional football.
Since then, he has played for the now-defunct Indian Arrows, Mohammedan Sporting and FC Goa.
- Allan Donald to quit Bangladesh post after World Cup 2023
- Sri Lanka team returns home, chief selector blames external conspiracy for poor World Cup show
- South Africa vs Afghanistan LIVE score, ICC World Cup 2023: AFG wins toss, to bat first; Can Afghanistan qualify for semifinals with a win?
- South Africa vs Afghanistan Dream 11 prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: SA v AFG predicted XI, fantasy team, squads
- FIH Olympic Qualifier 2024: Happy to take on tougher teams in Ranchi, says India women’s team captain Savita