Ollie Watkins scored a hat-trick as Aston Villa all but secured a Conference League group-stage place with a 5-0 thrashing of Hibernian in its play-off round first leg on Wednesday.
The Premier League side started its first European campaign since losing in Europa League qualifying in 2010 in fine style.
Unai Emery’s men, who put four past Everton at the weekend, started strongly as Watkins headed home Lucas Digne’s cross in the 17th minute at Easter Road.
Hibs had a penalty appeal waved away soon afterwards but any hope the Scottish club had of an upset was ended as Watkins and Leon Bailey put former European champion Villa three goals in front before half-time.
Watkins finished another Digne cross to complete his treble less than three minutes into the second period. Douglas Luiz added a fifth from the spot with 16 minutes left to likely allow Emery to rest players for next week’s second leg.
Wednesday’s other match saw Dnipro-1 draw 1-1 with Trnava in Slovakia.
- Premier League: Man Utd slumps to humiliating 3-0 home loss to Bournemouth
- WPL 2024 Mini Auction: Kashvee, Vrinda turn heads as uncapped Indians, Capitals get Sutherland for record bid
- La Liga 2023-24: Bellingham goal not enough as Real Madrid draws against Betis away from home
- Serie A: Lazio dominates but draws 1-1 at 10-man Verona, Inter hosts Udinese
- ISL 2023-24 points table: Mumbai City FC fourth after win over Bengaluru FC