Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen is hopeful Spurs can keep Christian Eriksen, who has been linked to La Liga giant Real Madrid.
Madrid has emerged as a possible destination for Eriksen after the Tottenham star revealed he wants to "try something new."
Eriksen's bombshell came following Tottenham's unexpected run to the Champions League final, which it lost 2-0 to Premier League rival Liverpool. Amid reported interest from across Europe, Vertonghen — preparing for Belgium's Euro 2020 qualifier against Scotland on Tuesday — hopes Spurs can retain the services of the Denmark international.
"Obviously when the transfer window starts there are a lot [of] rumours, but there were rumours last year and everyone stayed together, so I'm hopeful," Vertonghen told Sky Sports News .
"Christian is a great player. I have known him since he was 16, played with him since he was 16 or 17 [at Ajax] and I hope he's with Tottenham next season. He's an exceptional player."
Eriksen arrived from Eredivisie giant Ajax in 2013 and the 27-year-old has established himself as one of the Premier League and Europe's best midfielders. However, Eriksen has not won silverware with Tottenham after reaching the 2015 EFL Cup final and this year's Champions League decider.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 5: Mumbai beats Saurashtra; Karthik leads Tamil Nadu chase vs Punjab
- Indian sports news wrap, December 1
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 schedule PDF- Jaipur Pink Panthers match fixtures, squad preview, all you need to know
- Saudi Arabia to host Asian Champions League Elite finals
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023 schedule PDF- Puneri Paltan match fixtures, squad preview, all you need to know