Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Sergio Rico is conscious and communicating again after coming out of a coma, hospital sources confirmed to AFP on Wednesday.
The 29-year-old was admitted to the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville on May 28 after an accident involving a horse at a local festival.
Rico suffered a traumatic brain injury and was left in a coma, but his wife Alba Silva said Monday he was able to recognise his family and say their names.
Last week Silva told local media Rico had emerged from his coma and that she could “see the light”.
The goalkeeper won the Europa League twice with his hometown club Sevilla and joined Paris Saint-Germain permanently in 2020 after a loan spell there.
- The drama of Maxwell’s 201: Prevents hat-trick, survives LBW scare, dropped chance on way to one of ODI World Cup’s greatest centuries
- Manchester United midfielder Casemiro unlikely to play before Christmas after hamstring injury
- AC Milan scores its first goals in UCL group to beat PSG 2-1; Porto beats Antwerp
- Griezmann and Morata lead Atletico rout of Celtic; Immobile leads Lazio to 1-0 win
- Haaland brace helps City beat Young Boys; Leipzig joins City in knockouts