Uruguay midfielder Matias Vecino has been ruled out of the remainder of the Copa America with a hamstring injury, the team confirmed on Monday.
The Inter man started his country's opening group match against Ecuador but was substituted late on in the 4-0 victory. Vecino complained of pain in his thigh and scans have subsequently revealed an injury that will keep him out of the rest of the tournament.
Star Uruguay forwards Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani each suffered with issues earlier this year but both scored in the convincing win.
Head coach Oscar Tabarez has options to replace Vecino in midfield, with Gaston Pereiro, Lucas Torreira and Federico Valverde all appearing from the bench against Ecuador. Uruguay plays Japan in its second match on Thursday before taking on Chile at the start of next week.
Former Fiorentina man Vecino made 30 appearances in Serie A in 2018-19, scoring three times as Inter finished fourth.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Bumrah removes Carey; Glenn Maxwell arrives at the crease
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush qualify for doubles R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles R-32 action now
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India 6th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- Ukraine to boycott all UEFA competitions featuring Russian teams
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Sumit, Ankita bow out in tennis; India 5th with 22 medals