Araijeet Singh Hundal struck a hat-trick as India dished out a dominant display to beat Korea 4-2 in its opening pool match of the FIH junior men’s hockey World Cup here on Tuesday.
Hundal scored in the 11th, 16th and 41st minutes while Amandeep found the target for India in the 30th minute in the Pool C match.
Dohyun Lim (38th) and Minkwon Kim (45th) were the goal scorers for Korea.
India, which had lost to France in the bronze-medal match in the last edition in 2021 in Bhubaneswar, made a strong start with Hundal scoring in the first quarter off a penalty corner.
The Indians continued their domination by pumping in two goals in the second quarter through Hundal and Amandeep - both field goals - as they were 3-0 up at half-time.
Korea pulled one back though Dohyun midway in the third quarter but India replied soon after with Hundal completing his hat-trick with another field goal.
With a 4-1 lead in the match, the Indians appeared to have slowed down a bit. The Koreans pressed for goals and they were able to reduce the margin with Minkwon finding the target.
India next plays against Spain in its second pool match. Canada is the other country in the four-team Pool C.
India has won the tournament twice (2001 and 2016) and finished runner-up once (1997).
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Vidarbha seals spot in semis after hara-kiri by Karnataka batters
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Pacers Vyshak, Kaverappa bring Karnataka back into contest against Vidarbha on Day 4
- Medvedev begins Dubai title defense with win in first match since losing Australian Open final
- WPL 2024: Smriti, Renuka star; RCB Women beat Gujarat by eight wickets
- ISL 2023-24: FC Goa files complaint after Mumbai City analyst caught spying at training session