Top Indian stars will turn up for their respective States and employers at the 9th Senior Women’s Hockey National Championship that begins here on Friday.
Gurjit Kaur, Deep Grace Ekka, Sushila Chanu, Navneet Kaur, Navjot Kaur, Anupa Barla and Vandana Katariya are some of the top players who will turn up for Railway Sports Promotion Board, the defending champion. “After their successful outing in the Spain recently, it is good for the players to continue their competitive form at the National Championship,” said David John, High Performance Director, Hockey India.
‘Watching out for fresh talent’
“While the core group of women in the national team have remained constant over the past two years, national selectors would be watching out for fresh talent during the tournament as we prepare for the important next 18 months leading into the Olympic Games 2020,” he added.
RSPB begins its campaign against Hockey Rajasthan, in the opening match in Pool A. Twenty teams will participate int he 11-day event.
Teams that take the top two spots in Pools A, B, C and D in the round-robin stage will qualify for the quarterfinals to be played on February 15. The semifinal and final will be played on February 17 and February 18, respectively.
- P.V. Sindhu - bouncing back in style at Badminton Asia Team Championships
- ICC Test rankings: Yashasvi Jaiswal rises to 12th, Dhruv Jurel to 69th
- Organisers keen on cricket in 2026 Asian Games despite venue woes
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning white-ball trophy but missing out in red-ball cricket doesn’t discredit the players’ skills