The Indian U-18 women’s hockey team maintained its fine start to the Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games as it defeated Uruguay in its second match of the Hockey 5s competition.
Striker Lalremsiami (1’, 19’) continued her goal-scoring form as she scored twice again while Magdalena Verga (10’) scored the lone goal for Uruguay.
The Indian team, on the back of its 4-2 victory in the opening match against Austria, looked confident right from the first minute of the match and scored through in-form striker Lalremsiami in the first minute.
India dominated the first period and saw a goal being disallowed in the ninth minute when Mumtaz Khan thought she had given India a 2-0 lead, but the umpire blew the whistle for a foul.
Uruguay’s goalkeeper Victoria Bate produced a fantastic performance to make 13 saves in the match out of India’s total 15 shots on target, to keep her team in the match.
The South Americans found possession of the ball in the last minute of the first period and scored the equaliser at the stroke of half-time through Magdalena Verga (10’) to make for an interesting second period.
However, the second period was again dominated by the Indian team as they looked for a winner. The Indians took as many as 25 shots in total during the match, but could only manage to convert twice.
The second instance was the one which brought India its winning goal as Lalremsiami popped up again in the 19th minute to snatch a 2-1 win for her team.
The team will next face Vanuatu on Wednesday.
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND 112/3, needs 80 runs to win; Gill, Jadeja recalibrate innings
- Energy-sapped Chelsea rues missed chances against Liverpool
- Matthew Wade itching for T20 World Cup after New Zealand whitewash
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: Anubhav picks 5 to help MP comeback vs Andhra; Shorey departs after 50
- WPL 2024: UP Warriorz, Delhi Capitals aim for first win of season