Telugu Titans' ace defender, Abozhar Mohajar Mighani, will captain the side for season seven of the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL 2019), the team announced on Wednesday.
The Iranian right-corner defender has been a formidable force in PKL and has racked up an impressive 122 points in 45 matches.
Telugu Titans coach, Gholamreza Mazandarani felt the new double round-robin format, as opposed to the earlier splitting of the 12 teams in two groups, would make PKL 2019 more competitive.
RELATED| PKL 2019: Can Siddharth Desai power Telugu Titans to glory?
“This is a format which gives a chance for teams lagging behind in the early part of the league to come back strongly. However, we are confident of sustaining the momentum right from the word go and are determined to win the title this time around,” said the Iranian coach, who guided his national team to the gold at the 2018 Asian Games last year.
He added that Telugu Titans has a "very strong balanced side with the likes of Siddharth Desai, Vishal Bharadwaj" and that the team has worked on its weaknesses during its pre-tournament preparatory camp.
The side will begin its PKL 2019 campaign against season two champion U Mumba in the opening fixture on July 20, at Hyderabad's Gachibowli Stadium.
Latest on Sportstar
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m
- Haddad Maia beats Sorribes Tormo in third-longest women’s match at French Open