Your idea of perfect happiness
When I am on the ground training children.
One big wish
To see the Indian men’s and women’s teams finish on the podium at the Olympic Games and World Championships.
Favourite holiday destination
Pune and Malaysia.
Earliest memory of playing
For Ammunition Factory, Khadki.
Other sports played
If not for sport
Nothing. Hockey runs in my family; it’s in my blood.
Ramesh Pillay, my brother, and Mohammed Shahid.
Mohammed Shahid when I was growing up, and Diego Maradona and Zinedine Zidane.
A living person you admire the most
Prakash Padukone Sir. The greatest athlete in Indian sport during my childhood.
Most memorable on-field moment
The 1998 Asian Games gold medal. I was India captain, the highest scorer and the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent. I was named in the Asian All Star XI.
Worst on-field moment
Sydney Olympics — the match against Poland. (India, leading 1-0, conceded a goal in the final minute and thus failed to make it to the semifinals.)
Never leave home without
The craziest thing ever done
Once I danced for seven to eight hours after I got into the mood.
One bad habit you need to get rid of
- IND vs AUS: Needed to bowl stump to stump to negate dew factor, says Axar
- IND vs AUS, 4th T20I: India beats Australia by 20 runs to win series
- Messi leaves door open to FIFA 2026 World Cup
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s 84th grandmaster
- AFC Asian Cup 2023: Qatar unveils family of desert rodents as mascots for premier tournament in Asia