Tainted former Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Abhay Singh Chautala showed up at the association's emergent executive council meeting without any invite here on Tuesday before making a hasty retreat after some members objected to his presence.
Chautala, whose election as IOA president in December 2012 was declared null and void by the International Olympics Committee, barged his way into the meeting hall at the IOA Bhawan and sat for around 10 minutes.
Later an executive council member G. S. Mander objected and requested the chair to expel non-members. The meeting also passed a resolution that a non-member's statements will not be recorded.
IOA secretary general Rajeev Mehta said Chautala was not invited for the meeting.
“We have not invited him for the meeting. He came on his own. He sat for around 10 minutes and after opposition from Mr. Mander he left the meeting hall.”
“We cannot throw him out but after the resolution was passed he left.”
When Chautala was asked why he came for the meeting, he said, “I just came to meet the people and say hello to them.”
The election of Chautala and Lalit Bhanot as president and secretary general in December 2012 led to the IOA being banned by the IOC till February 2014.
- Asian Games 2023, September 30, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Sarabjot/ Divya qualify for gold medal match; Sreeshankar, Aldrin, Yarraji among athletes to qualify for final
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30 - LIVE - Sarabjot/ Divya qualify for 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team gold medal match; IND stands 4th with 33 medals
- Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami fans upset with season ticket price hike
- Bundesliga: Uneven Dortmund holds on with 10 men to beat Hoffenheim 3-1
- Athletics, Asian Games 2023 LIVE Score September 30: Sreeshankar, Aldrin advance to long jump final; Yarraji through to women’s 100m hurdles final - Hangzhou 2022 updates