In a first, India might have two flag-bearers one male and one female at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics to ensure "gender parity", Indian Olympic Association chief Narinder Batra told PTI on Tuesday.
The names will be revealed "soon", Batra said.
"It's not yet decided. The matter is still in consultation stage but there is a possibility that this year there would be two flag-bearers -- one male and one female for gender parity," Batra said.
The country's lone individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra was the flag-bearer at the opening ceremony of the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The Tokyo Games are scheduled to open on July 23 and over 100 Indian athletes would be gunning for podium finishes at the showpiece, which was postponed by a year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ATP Rankings: Novak Djokovic finishes at No. 1 for a record-extending eighth time
- Indian sports news wrap, December 4
- Unnati Hooda keen to perform well in Guwahati Masters
- France sports minister reacts to Nantes fan’s death, pitches ban on away fans
- IPL 2024 auction: No Hugh Edmeades for Dec 19 event; BCCI set to rope in a new gavel master after five seasons