Yulia Putintseva reached the quarterfinals of the Astana Open on Wednesday as she bids to win the first women's tour tennis event in her home country of Kazakhstan, while third-seeded Kristina Mladenovic lost in the second round.
Putintseva beat Vera Lapko 6-4, 6-4 in their second-round match, winning six of the last seven games after Lapko had led the second set 3-0.
Alison van Uytvanck, seeded second, recovered after being broken in the deciding set to beat Anna-Lena Friedsam 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
It was only the third time in 15 tournaments this season that the Belgian has got past the second round in a tour event.
Her reward is a quarterfinal match with seventh-seeded Russian Varvara Gracheva, who saw off Lesia Tsurenko 6-2, 6-4.
Mladenovic became the highest-ranked player to be eliminated so far as she was beaten 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 by Anastasia Potapova of Russia.
Potapova's next opponent is Rebecca Peterson, who swept past Zarina Diyas 6-2, 6-2 to leave Putintseva as the only remaining player from Kazakhstan in the draw.
Jaqueline Cristian lost a first-set tiebreak but still upset eighth-seeded Clara Burel 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-2 for her third quarterfinal of the season at a full WTA tour event after St. Petersburg in March and Palermo in July.
- PKL LIVE Score, Tamil Thalaivas vs Dabang Delhi: Young Thalaivas eyes win over Naveen’s Dabang; TT 2-2 DD - Pro Kabaddi League 2023 updates
- India vs Australia Live Score, 5th T20I: Hardie removes Jitesh; IND 97/5 vs AUS
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, LIVE Score, FCG 0-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: KICK OFF at Fatodra, Noah Sadaoui, Adrian Luna start in summit clash
- Arsenal to host Liverpool in third-round FA Cup clash
- IND A vs ENG A Women, 3rd T20I: Issy Wong shines again as England beats India by two wickets to win series 2-1