Top-seeded Daria Kasatkina eased into the quarterfinals of the Palermo Open with a comfortable victory over Russian compatriot Tatiana Prozorova on Thursday.
It was only Prozorova’s third WTA tour main-draw match and Kasatkina prevailed 6-3, 6-1.
Kasatkina will likely face a sterner test against fifth-seeded Jasmine Paolini, who she meets in the quarterfinals after the Italian rallied to beat Dayana Yastremska 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Also advancing on the red clay courts of the Country Time Club was third-seeded Mayar Sherif of Egypt. She eliminated lucky loser Sofya Lansere 6-3, 6-3.
Sherif will play Camila Osorio in the last eight after the Colombian player recovered from a tough opening set to see off Erika Andreeva 6-7 (3), 6-0, 6-2.
In the other quarterfinals, it’s second-seeded Zheng Qinwen vs. seventh-seeded Emma Navarro, and Sara Sorribes Tormo vs. Clara Burel.
- IND vs AUS World Cup 2023 final pitch report: Narendra Modi Stadium overall stats in ODIs, scores, conditions
- Australia’s Duke expects an ‘emotional game’ ahead of Palestine qualifier
- Kylian Mbappe unfazed by PSG transfer speculation
- WADA sends Russian anti-doping agency case to arbitration
- Wembley crowd pays tribute to Bobby Charlton before England Euro 2024 qualifier