Sumit Nagal suffered a first round exit after a valiant fight and Saketh Myneni, his compatriot, suffered a tame defeat as India’s singles challenge shrunk at the ATP Ningbo Challenger on Tuesday.
Nagal lost 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 after battling for little over two hours against third seed Thomas Fabbiano in the opening round of the USD 150,000 tournament. “It was a good match which moved indoors after rain and it worked in his favour. Both of us played at a high level but I was unable to sustain towards the end of the second and third sets,” Nagal told PTI after the match.
Myneni, who entered the singles main draw via a qualifier, lost his opening match 6-3, 6-2 to Renta Tokuda in one hour and 17 minutes. Ramkumar Ramanathan had also lost his first round, leaving Prajnesh Gunneswaran as the only Indian left in the singles competition.
Nagal and Myneni also feature in the doubles draw with their respective partners.
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 2 Semifinal 2024: Kishore removes Rahane for 19; Yash Thakur traps Gawali in front
- De Minaur sinks Ruud to retain Mexican Open crown
- San Diego Open 2024: Kostyuk knocks out top seed Pegula, faces Boulter in final
- Tiger Woods wins Bob Jones Award, highest USGA honour
- Kipchoge struggles to 10th place as Kipruto wins Tokyo Marathon