Second-seeded Zheng Qinwen beat Diane Parry on Wednesday to reach the quarterfinals of the Palermo Open.
Zheng found it tougher than her 6-0, 6-0 victory over Sara Errani in the opening round but eventually prevailed 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. She will next face seventh-seeded Emma Navarro after the American had a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Camilla Rosatello.
Sara Sorribes Tormo recorded a second straight victory over an Italian player on the red clay courts of the Country Time Club as she defeated Nuria Brancaccio 6-3, 6-2.
Sorribes Tormo will next face Clara Brunel after the French player eliminated Cristina Bucsa 6-2, 6-4.
- Australia announces women’s squad for India tour
- F1 on the right track in Vegas after parking lot past, says Bernie Ecclestone
- Japan Masters 2023: Satwik-Chirag out after first round defeat
- ‘Driven: The Virat Kohli Story’ - a front-row seat to witness the evolution of a cricketing legend
- NBA 2023-24 roundup: Pascal Siakam’s late shot pushes Toronto Raptors past Washington Wizards