Rohan Bopanna and Canadian partner Denis Shapovalov lost in the opening round of the Western and Southern Open men’s doubles event against Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos on Sunday.
Bopanna and Shapovalov lost 4-6, 6-7(1) to 2019 US Open runners-ups in the first round match of the USD 42,22,190 hard court tournament, which is a build-up to the US Open.
It was the first competitive match for Bopanna since the Davis Cup tie against Croatia in March, where he partnered Leander Paes.
Bopanna has been pairing with Shapovalov consistently since the Indian Wells Masters last year.
“It was indeed a very close match. I am very satisfied, to be honest, with the way we played, especially after five months, coming straight into a tournament. (We were) playing against a very good team out there,” Bopanna told PTI .
“I thought I would be little rusty but played pretty good, we had some chances. We lost three deuce points in a row when they served at 2-3 and then on my serve at 3-3 and when they served at 4-3, so those three games we had deuce points but they did not go our way.
“The second set was again close, we hung in there but in tie-break they were better team. Overall, satisfied with the start nevertheless. We will be practising for the next few days for the US Open,” he said.
The US Open starts August 31 in New York.
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 1: Warner, Khawaja to open for Australia vs India; no Ashwin in Playing XI
- WTC Final, IND vs AUS: Shardul gets nod over Ashwin in Playing XI at Oval
- Key joins Alfa Romeo F1 team as technical director
- Moeen Ali comes out of Test retirement for Ashes 2023
- IND vs AUS Dream 11 prediction, WTC Final 2023: India vs Australia Playing 11 updates, fantasy picks, pitch report, squads