The rain came in as an uninvited guest, killed a gripping contest and handed host Punjab Kings a seven-run win (DLS method) over Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL match at the I.S.Bindra Stadium here on Saturday.
Chasing 192, Knight Riders clawed back into the game and launch a final assault on the target when heavy rain stopped play at the end of the 16th over. Knight Riders, which was 146 for seven at the time of stoppage, was below the DLS par score by seven runs.
After Arshdeep Singh’s early blows, Andre Russell (35) and impact player Venkatesh Iyer (34) revived the chase with a quickfire fifty-run stand for the sixth wicket.
But the loss of both the batters in quick succession ended Knight Riders’ hope. In hindsight, the 23-minute delay at the start of Knight Riders’ innings due to the malfunctioning of light towers hurt Knight Riders.
READ THE FULL MATCH REPORT HERE
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24, Semifinals: Shardul, Deshpande keep Mumbai ahead against Tamil Nadu on Day 1
- RCB-W vs MI-W live score, WPL 2024: Smriti Mandhana vs Harmanpreet Kaur in high-octane WPL fixture; Live streaming info
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 semifinals: Madhya Pradesh’s pace battery skittles Vidarbha for 170 on Day 1
- Ranji Trophy: TN captain Sai Kishore’s decision to bat first against Mumbai backfires on Day 1
- Bengaluru FC vs Kerala Blasters LIVE score, ISL 2023-24: Match updates, preview, streaming and more