Barcelona continues its perfect start in the Champions League and warms up for El Clasico on October 28, with a 2-1 win over Shakhtar Donestk.
“We have to recover, rest, disconnect now, enjoy this victory, which is vital for us. It’s 3 points that give us a lot in this competition but we have to put it aside now to focus on the Clasico. We’ll be fine.,” says Barca coach Xavi Hernandez at a post-match press conference.
Ferran Torres and Fermín López scored a goal each in the first half to help Barcelona secure its third straight victory in Group H. The Catalan club reached nine points, three more than Porto, which won 4-1 at winless Antwerp. Shakhtar stayed with three points.
Barcelona, the five-time European champion, hasn’t advanced past the group stage since Lionel Messi left in 2021.
“It’s a sign of progress for us to earn nine points in the first three matches,” Barcelona coach Xavi said. “We are not through to the next stage yet, but we took a step toward that.”
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2