Vinesh Phogat booked a place in the women’s 53kg repechage round in the World wrestling championships in Belgrade on Tuesday.
A 2019 World championships bronze medallist, Vinesh (53kg) was beaten by Asian silver medallist Khulan Batkhuyag 7-0 in the first round but got a second lease of life when the Mongolian managed to enter the final.
In her quest for a second Worlds medal, Vinesh will be seen in action on Wednesday.
Neelam Sirohi (50kg), Shafali (65kg) and Priyanka (76kg) also lost in preliminary rounds, but they could not make it to the medal race.
Neelam, who defeated Hungarian Szimonetta Szeker 4-2, was beaten convincingly by two-time Worlds silver medallist Romanian Emilia Vuc with a 10-0 verdict. Shafali was outsmarted by France's Koumba Larroque and Priyanka was trounced by Ecuador's Genesis Valdez with an identical 10-0 margin in first-round bouts.
Sushma Shokeen (55kg) was pinned by Moldova's Mariana Dagutan in the repechage round when the former was leading 8-6.
Latest on Sportstar
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: When and where to watch Benzema’s last game; Streaming Info; Predicted XI
- Norway Chess: Gukesh holds Carlsen, moves to career-high live rating
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Heena Mallick, Bharatpreet Singh win gold; Antima Pal bags bronze in 5,000m event