The five-member jury for the Sportstar Aces Awards met on Saturday to deliberate on the nominations.
The jury comprises former India cricket captain Sunil Gavaskar, former India hockey captain M. M. Somaya, shooter Anjali Bhagwat, Olympian long jumper Anju Bobby George, and N. Ram, the chairman of The Hindu Group. The jury, with Gavaskar as chairman, discussed the nominations for the 17 award categories.
“We had a tough time because the performances (of different athletes) were on a par for (various) awards,” Gavaskar said.
Anju agreeing to what Gavaskar said, further added, “We considered the performances of 2018, but in some cases, we also had to take previous performances into consideration. There were close competition between some athletes."
Somaya, who led Indian hockey team in the Seoul Olympics in 1988, was happy to see sportsmen from various disciplines being talked about.
“In the last couple of years, India has excelled in various disciplines and not just cricket. In the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games, we fared well in many disciplines. The choice was good and it was good that the committee had a broad outlook,” he said.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 7: TN qualifies for quarterfinals; Karnataka needs 125 to win; Bengal collapses vs Punjab
- NBA: LeBron James, Lakers relish tourney matchup vs. Suns
- Pakistan board gives Rauf green light for short Big Bash stint
- India’s series win vs Australia highlights squad depth and leadership potential ahead of T20 World Cup
- Tiger Woods vaults 430 spots, drawing scrutiny to world rankings