India staged a remarkable comeback to down Hong Kong 3-2 and qualify for the semifinals of the Asia Mixed Team Badminton Championships and ensure a first-ever medal in the continental tournament on Friday.
Down 0-2, the Indians showed great fighting spirit as the doubles pair of Dhruv Kapila and Chirag Shetty and PV Sindhu levelled the scores after reverses in the first two matches..
Down 0-2, the Indians showed great fighting spirit as the doubles pair of Dhruv Kapila and Chirag Shetty and PV Sindhu levelled the scores after reverses in the first two matches.
In the first match of the tie, the mixed doubles pair of Ishaan Bhatnagar and Tanisha Crasto fought hard before losing 24-26 17-21 against Lee Chun Hei Reginald and Tsz Yau NG to hand Hong Kong a 1-0 lead.
World No. 11 and Commonwealth Games champion Lakshya Sen squandered a game lead to lose 22-20, 19-21, 18-21 against world No. 14 Ka Long Angus NG in one hour and 10 minutes.
The men’s doubles pair of Kapila and Shetty pulled one back for India with a hard-fought 20-22 21-16 21-11 win over Tang Chun Man and Yeung Shing Choi.
In the women’s singles match, two-time Olympic medallist Sindhu had to dig deep to get the better of Saloni Samirbhai Mehta 16-21, 21-7, 21-9 and level the scores at 2-2.
In the decider, Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand defeated Tsz Yau NG and Wing Yung NG 21-13, 21-12 in the women’s doubles to clinch the tie.
- ISL 2023-24: Indian Super League match between FC Goa and Hyderabad FC rescheduled
- SA vs AUS LIVE Score, 4th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates: Warner, Marsh fell cheaply in 417 chase vs South Africa; Klaseen scores 174
- BFI issues show-cause notice to Panghal, Sagar and Rohit for “poor discipline”
- India vs Bangladesh LIVE Score, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: IND 126/4 (30); Shubman Gill steers chase, IND needs 140 from 120
- Asian Games 2023, Indian football: Jhingan, Sana added to Asiad squad, Stimac to travel as head coach