Fajar Alfian-Mohammad Rian Ardianto beat fellow Indonesians Muhammad Fikri and Bagas Mulana in straight games, 21-17, 21-18, to reach the quarterfinals of the India Open Super 750 in New Delhi on Thursday.
Fajar and Ardianto, who regained their world no. 1 ranking after winning Malaysia Open last week, will face Germany’s Mark Lamsfuss-Marvin Seidel in the quarterfinals on Friday. World no. 17 Lamsfuss-Seidel won a marathon three-game contest in one hour and five minutes to knock out world no. 7 Kim Astrup-Anders Rasmussen.
Zhang Siwei-Huang Yaqiong, the mixed doubles champion at Malaysia Open, needed merely 31 minutes to advance as the Chinese pair beat Indonesia’s Rehan Naufal Kusharjanto-Lisa Ayu Kusumawati in straight games (21-16, 21-9).
In women’s doubles, Malaysian pair Parley Tan-Thinaah Muralitharan also sealed its place in the last eight by prevailing over Chinese Taipei’s Lee Chiahsin-Teng Chun Hsun 16-21, 21-17, 21-18.
Meanwhile, in women’s singles, world no. 1 Akane Yamaguchi beat Han Yue 21-14, 21-17 to make it to the quarterfinals.
He Bingjiao won her round of 16 match 21-18, 21-15 against Kim Ga-Eun. But her compatriot Wang Zhiyi retired hurt midway through the second game to concede the match to American Beiwen Zhang.
- Asian Games 2023, September 25 LIVE updates: India eyes gold in Men’s 10m air rifle; Schedule, Hangzhou 2022 streaming info
- Megan Rapinoe gets triumphant send-off as United States beats South Africa 2-0
- Shooting, Asian Games 2023 LIVE Score Updates: India in gold medal spot in team event; Rudrankksh, Aishwary in top 8 after Series 5 in men’s 10m air rifle qualification - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Team World beats Team Europe to claim back-to-back Laver Cup titles
- Atletico Madrid beats Real Madrid 3-1 in La Liga to end rival’s perfect start to the season