The proposed National camp for shuttlers here from July 1 is unlikely to go ahead, according to a top official of the Sports Authority of Telangana State.
“The shuttlers may have to wait a little longer to return to the Academies. Given the mood after a review meeting of the top officials here on Sunday, it is highly unlikely that the Government will relax any of the restrictions,” the official told Sportstar.
“The Government might even reimpose the lockdown from next week given the growing number of COVID-19 cases,” said the official.
The SATS official revealed that no one from the Badminton Association of India had approached them regarding the National camp though, in all probability, it was going be held at the Gopichand Academy. “We only came to know about it [camp] through the media. However, any decision in this regard should be in tune with the Government’s final call,” he said.
Many shuttlers are desperate to resume training after a three-month break due to the lockdown as most of them hail from the city. On the other hand, the officials want to avoid a situation where a top athlete tests positive after the sports complexes are re-opened as there is no guarantee of someone not being affected by the virus despite the safety guidelines.
- Who will win ICC World Cup 2023? Answer lies in what wins World Cups
- Canelo Alvarez dominates Jermell Charlo to retain undisputed super middleweight world title
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally LIVE , October 1 - Men’s shooting trap team bags gold; Aditi Ashok wins silver, India 4th with 11 gold, 41 medals
- Inter Miami’s MLS playoff hopes hit in Lionel Messi’s absence; Cincinnati secures top seed
- Flawless Kudermetova stuns Pegula to claim Tokyo title