Former world youth champion Sachin Siwach (49kg) was among the two Indian boxers to enter the quarterfinals, while three others lost their opening-round bouts of the President’s Cup Tournament in Astana, Kazakhstan.
Sachin, who was voted the best youth boxer of the Asian Confederation last year, edged past local hope O Bayniyazov 3-2 to make the last-eight stage on Tuesday night.
Also advancing to the quarters was Devanshu Jaiswal in the light heavyweight (81kg) category. He defeated Belarus’ Pavel Brazovskiy.
Bowing out with first-round losses were Thomas Meitei Mayengbam (64kg), Dinesh dagar (69kg), and India Open gold-medallist Sanjeet (91kg).
Thomas was beaten 0-5 by Thailand’s Masuk Wuttichai, while Dinesh lost by a similar margin to Uzbekistan’s Makhmud Gaipov.
Sanjeet suffered a stunning knockout at the hands of Olympic silver-medallist Vasily Levit. The punch that knocked out the Indian came in the second round, which was into its final minute.
- Saudi Pro League 2023-24: Al Nassr without Ronaldo draws against Al Hazem despite Talisca hattrick
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem Highlights Saudi Pro League: NAS 4-4 HAZ; Talisca scores hattrick, Ricardo scores stoppage time equalizer
- WPL 2024: Smriti’s heroics in vain as Kapp, Jonassen help Delhi beat Bangalore by 25 runs
- German Open: Jolly-Gayatri advance to quarterfinals
- RCB-W vs DC-W Highlights WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals beats Royal Challengers by 25 runs