Viswanathan Anand (six points) drew with Vladislav Kovalev to share the sixth spot after the 12th and penultimate round of Tata Steel Masters chess tournament here on Saturday.
USA’s second seed Fabiano Caruana took an unsurpassable 1.5-point lead over Magnus Carlsen and ensured the title with a round to spare.
Caruana (9) defeated Poland’s Jan-Krzysztof Duda to reach nine points. Carlsen (7.5) drew with Russia’s Vladislav Artemiev.
In the Challengers category, Surya Shekhar Ganguly (6.5) lost to Pavel Eljanov (7.5) and Nihal Sarin (6) drew with Vincent Keymer. Spain’s David Anton Guijarro (8) continued to lead despite losing to Max Warmerdam.
Latest on Sportstar
- Australia coach Arnold backs ‘obsessed’ Postecoglou for Spurs
- Kerala Blasters to temporarily pause women’s team
- IPL was the starter, now for the main course... WTC final
- Singapore Open 2023: Sindhu exits in first round; Srikanth, Arjun-Dhruv duo enter second round
- WTC Final 2023: Boland to play against India, confirms captain Cummins