Azerbaijan’s Nijat Abasov continued his winning run and beat India’s Vidit Gujrathi to knock him from the FIDE World Cup on Wednesday in Baku.
Abasov checkmated Gujrathi with white pieces in 42 moves to confirm his semifinal slot in the tournament.
AS IT HAPPENED | FIDE WORLD CUP 2023 LIVE
Abasov, on his way to the quarterfinal, already had defeated Laurent Fressinet, World No. 7 Anish Giri, three-time world championship challenger Peter Svidler and UAE No. 1 Salem Saleh before eliminating Vidit.
Earlier, both players played out a hard-fought 109-moves draw in the 6.1 round.
With this win, Abasov also secured his spot in the Candidates tournament after Magnus Carlsen confirmed that we would not play in the marquee event.
VIDIT vs ABASOV LIVE MOVE-BY-MOVE INTERACTIVE
- WPL 2024 Live Score, UPW vs GG: Giants 77/2 (12); Ecclestone removes Mooney, Wolvaardt; Harleen, Litchfield at crease
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE, MBSG 1-0 JFC, ISL 10: Petratos strike keeps the Mariners ahead at half-time
- PKL Final Live Score: Defense is king in Puneri Paltan vs Haryana Steelers low-scoring thriller
- World Athletics Indoor C’chips 2024: Lyles leads big names into semifinals, Mitton wins shot put
- DY Patil T20 Cup 2024: Veterans Shikhar Dhawan and Dinesh Karthik shine in commanding win over RBI