Veteran chess player V.S.T. Sai passed away while playing a game in the SLAN FIDE-rated tournament at Kotla Vijaya Bhaskara Reddy Indoor Stadium on Saturday.
He was 72 and survived by his wife and two sons.
Sai was an active player after retiring from service in the Life Insurance Corporation of India and has been a regular in most of the tournaments held in the twin cities.
Sai, who was actively involved in the Hyderabad Chess Centre as an executive committee member, collapsed while playing the fifth round and was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was declared dead.
Y. Sameer Kumar, former international and newly-elected general secretary of the Hyderabad Democratic Chess Association, who was involved in the last-minute efforts, expressed shock.
Fellow participant Manoj Kumar Vittapu who was playing on a nearby board said he saw the gentleman collapse and being taken away to the hospital.
“To the credit of the organisers, there was a medical team and an ambulance on call too. It was sad to see such an incident in a tournament hall,” he said.
- Mohammad Shami becomes first Indian with two five-wicket hauls in ICC ODI World Cups
- India vs New Zealand Live Score, ICC World Cup 2023: IND restricts NZ to 273 as Shami picks five-wicket haul
- Ronaldo to Haaland: Who has scored the highest number of goals in 2023?
- PAK vs AFG: Pakistan and Afghanistan rekindle rivalry in bid for supremacy at ICC World Cup 2023
- IND vs NZ, ICC World Cup 2023: Dharamsala outfield continues to pose problems as Rohit suffers injury scare