Ahmedabad is likely to host the day-night pink ball Test match during England’s tour of India early next year, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said in Kolkata on Tuesday.
England is slated to visit India from January to March for five Tests and a limited-overs series. “Ahmedabad will hold the day-night Test,” Ganguly told while launching a book by politician Ashok Bhattacharya at the Kolkata Press Club.
Owing to a surge in COVID-19 cases in India in the recent past, there had been speculations that the series could be shifted to the UAE, where the IPL 2020 is currently underway.
But the BCCI is determined to host England in the country and is already exploring all possible options, including creating bio-secure bubbles. Ahmedabad, Dharamsala and Kolkata are likely to be the three venues for the Test series, but Ganguly said they are yet to take a final call.
“We have made some tentative plans but nothing has been decided as of now. We still have four months’ time,” added Ganguly.
The BCCI president said their priority is the upcoming Australia tour, the team selection for which will happen in a few days. “Before England, we have Australia series coming up. There will be team selection happening in a few days.”
Ganguly said switching to the Test format immediately after the IPL won’t be a problem for the players. “They are all quality players, they will be fine,” he claimed.
As for the domestic season, the BCCI has decided to start the Ranji Trophy from January 1, and Ganguly added that the details will be worked out in the upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM).
“The AGM will happen soon and there we will decide about the Ranji Trophy,” he said.
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 semifinals: Tamil Nadu skipper Sai Kishore joins elite 50-wicket club, earns high praise from Shardul Thakur
- IPL 2024: Gujarat Titans batter Robin Minz suffers minor bike accident
- World Indoor Championships 2024: LaFond flies to Dominica’s first world athletics gold medal
- DC-W vs GG-W live score, WPL 2024: Can Gujarat Giants open its winning account today against dominant Delhi?; Toss at 7 PM
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 semifinal: Mantri helps Madhya Pradesh wrest control against Vidarbha on Day 2