- February 17, 2023 16:55Scores - Day 2, Stumps
- Saurashtra - 317/5 in 87 overs vs Bengal 174 all out; Saurashtra leads by 143 runs.
- February 17, 2023 16:52Saurashtra 317/5 in 87 overs at stumps
Arpit Vasavada (81*) and Chirag Jani (57*) help Saurashtra dominate another day’s play at the Eden Gardens. Bengal was wayward with the ball throughout the three sessions and has probably conceded the game to the visitor. Saurashtra leads by 143 runs.
- February 17, 2023 16:40Saurashtra 312/5 in 85 overs
The stand between Jani and Vasavada crosses 100 as Saurashtra continues to pile up runs against the hosts. The lead extends to 138
- February 17, 2023 16:19IPL Schedule 2023
- February 17, 2023 16:0850Saurashtra 301/5 80 overs
Chirag Jani brings up his fifty and leads Saurashtra past 300 alongside Arpit Vasavada who is batting on 72.
- February 17, 2023 15:22Saurashtra 268/5 in 72 overs
Chirag Jani and Arpit Vasavada continue to frustrate the Bengal bowlers by constantly picking the gaps for ones and twos.
- February 17, 2023 15:004Saurashtra 250/5 in 68 overs
Jani hammers Mukesh Kumar for three fours in the first over after the break. Shahbaz Ahmed drops Jani’s catch at the fine-leg region in the last delivery. Meanwhile, Saurashtra crosses the 250-run mark.
- February 17, 2023 14:53Live action resumes
The lighting has gotten better to play and Jani along with Vasavada walks out to face Mukesh Kumar.
- February 17, 2023 14:36Session three delayed
The start of the third session has been delayed due to bad light in overcast conditions.
- February 17, 2023 14:14Sheldon 238/5 in 67 overs - TEA
Vasavada and Chirag Jani lead Saurashtra to Tea. Just the solitary wicket for Bengal in the session as the visitor extends the lead to 64.
- February 17, 2023 13:5850Saurashtra 229/5 in 64 overs
Arpti Vasavada smears a length ball through extra cover for another FOUR and brings up his half-century. He continues his scintillating touch from the semifinal for Saurashtra.
- February 17, 2023 13:29WWicket! Saurashtra 204/5 in 58 overs
The stand between Jackson and Vasavada nears 100 as Saurashtra goes past 200 in the 58th over. Porel to Jackson, OUT! Reckless shot by the set Jackson to throw his wicket after scoring a well-fought 59. Bengal gets a much-needed breakthrough as half of Saurashtra batters are back in the hut. In comes Chirag Jani at number seven.
Jackson c (sub) Pramanik b Ishan Porel 59(105)
- February 17, 2023 13:024Saurashtra takes 1st-innings lead
Jackson shifts his weight to the backfoot to slam Shahbaz for a four and with this Saurashtra takes the crucial first-innings lead against Bengal on the second day.
- February 17, 2023 12:5850Fifty for Sheldon Jackson!
A valiant effort from Jackson to complete his half-century. He is batting on 51 as Saurashtra is just one run behind Bengal’s first-innings score.
- February 17, 2023 12:28Saurashtra 157/4 in 48 overs
Jackson nears his fifty as Saurashtra goes past 150 runs. The lead narrows down for Bengal as it looks desperate for wickets.
- February 17, 2023 12:14Sheldon Jackson completes 6000 runs in Ranji Trophy
- February 17, 2023 11:52Update from Stadium
Lunch, day 2: Saurashtra 148/4 in 46 overs, Sheldon Jackson (29) and Arpit Vasavada (15) batted with discipline to stand for an unbeaten 39 run stand. Mukesh 2/38 led Bengal bowlers, who bowled better to give away 67 for two wickets in 29 overs.,
- February 17, 2023 11:38Saurashtra 148/4 in 46 overs at lunch
Good partnership by the duo of Jackson and Vasavada to lead Saurashtra near Bengal’s first innings total. The morning session was equally poised with two early wickets from Mukesh Kumar and Ishan Porel but this crucial stand has put the visitors in a commanding position. Bengal leads by 26 runs at lunch.
- February 17, 2023 10:56Saurashtra 131/4 in 38 overs
The batting pillars of Saurashtra - Arpit Vasavada and Sheldon Jackson carefully negotiates the last few overs without taking any risks. Both of them are playing positive cricket to maintain the flow of runs as the visitor is nearing the 150-run mark. Bengal leads with 43 runs at the moment.
- February 17, 2023 10:50Sauarashtra 125/4 in 36 overs
Sheldon Jackson and Arpit Vasavada remain solid in defence and Saurashtra continues to slowly trudge towards the first-innings lead.
- February 17, 2023 10:25Update from Eden
Night watchman Chetan Sakariya got several blows but stood grittily to see off the morning hour. He was bowled in Ishan Porel’s first over of the day.Y.B. Sarangi
- February 17, 2023 10:21BWicket! Sakariya departs; Saurashtra 113/4 in 31 overs
Change in bowling, Ishan Porel replaces Akash Deep. Porel to Sakariya, OUT! Bowled! Porel strikes in his first over today. He knocks Sakariya to end his 45-ball resistance and gives Bengal fourth wicket. Sakariya does his job as a night watchman and in comes the man in form, Arpit Vasavad at number six. Vasavada gets off the mark with a terrific cover drive.
Chetan Sakariya b Ishan Porel 8(45)
- February 17, 2023 10:04Saurashtra 108/3 in 29 overs
Akash Deep continues to nag Sheldon with the incoming delivery. Sheldon prods forward but ensures that he plays the moving ball late below his eyes.
- February 17, 2023 09:48WWicket!! Desai falls; Saurashtra 101/3 in 26
Mukesh to Desai, OUT! Lapse in concentration from Desai after scoring his half-century as Mukesh traps him in front of wickets for lbw. The ball drifts in to hit the pads and it looks plumb out. Sheldon Jackson walks in at number five for Saurashtra. A glimmer of hope for Bengal to take a few quick wickets.
Harvik Desai lbw b Mukesh Kumar 50(79)
- February 17, 2023 09:4350Saurashtra 101/2 in 25 overs
Saurashtra goes past the 100-run mark as the visitors are just 75 runs away from taking the first-innings lead. Harvik Desai completes his blazing fifty. A 76-ball 50 for Desai with eight fours and one six.
- February 17, 2023 09:214Saurashtra 92/2 in 21 overs
Akash Deep continues from the other end. Desai hits him for the first boundary of the day. Another no-ball from Akash Deep in his second over. Seven comes from this over.
- February 17, 2023 09:17Saurashtra 85/2 in 20 overs
Mukesh Kumar is bowling with a good rhythm as he is able to pitch the ball with a straight seam position, testing the batters with late movements. Only a single off the over.
- February 17, 2023 09:11Saurashtra 84/2 in 19 overs
Manoj Tiwary hands the ball to Akash Deep from the other end. He starts with a no-ball and the saga continues for him. He has struggled with his run-up this season and will want to rectify this very quickly. A decent comeback from the bowler to deliver six tight balls against Sakariya.
- February 17, 2023 09:07Saurashtra 82/2 in 18 overs
Mukesh Kumar starts with a gentle outswinger which Desai leaves confidently. Mukesh holds a good length area and targets the fourth stump to swing the following ball. A couple of singles follows as the first over ends.
- February 17, 2023 09:01Live action coming soon!
Overnight batters, Harvik Desai and Chetan Sakariya walk out to bat in front of Mukesh Kumar, who will start the proceedings for Bengal on day 2.
- February 17, 2023 08:58Milestone alert!
- Dharmendrasinh Jadeja needs only one wicket to cross the 300-wicket mark in first-class cricket.
- February 17, 2023 08:47Milestone for Unadkat!
- February 17, 2023 08:28Bengal captain Manoj Tiwary believes in a comeback
- February 17, 2023 07:39Bengal vs Saurashtra Day 1 Review
Shahbaz Ahmed and Abishek Porel’s commendable rescue act, in the form of brilliant half-centuries resulting in a seventh-wicket century-run partnership, saved Bengal the blushes following a disastrous start on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy final against Saurashtra at the Eden Gardens on Thursday.
Saurashtra captain Jaydev Unadkat elected to bowl and executed his game plan perfectly to make life difficult for the home batters on a greenish surface in the morning.
Unadkat and company bundled Bengal out for 174 in the first innings before Saurashtra ended the day at 81 for the loss of two wickets. Left-handed pacers Unadkat and Chetan Sakariya lived up to the expectation and operated in tandem to wreak havoc.
They hit the right line and length and extracted impressive bounce and movement to remove five batters in a little over an hour.
Unadkat drew first blood in the opening over as Abhimanyu Easwaran was caught at forward short-leg for a duck.
Sakariya landed a double blow in the second over. Thirty-two-year-old debutant Sumanta Gupta was caught at second slip and Sudip Gharami was bowled shouldering arms.
Skipper Manoj Tiwary stretched out against Unadkat to be held at gully, and Anustup Majumdar edged Chirag Jani behind even after settling down.
Akash Ghatak became Sakariya’s third victim as Bengal tottered at 65 for six.
The experienced Shahbaz (69, 112b, 11x4) and the young Abishek (50, 98b, 8x4) batted with determination, playing each delivery on merit, to revive the innings.
With the pitch easing out, the duo gathered runs at a faster pace in the middle session – during which they achieved their fifties and a superb 101-run stand.
The two played some confident shots to the ropes. While Shahbaz primarily relied on cuts and flicks, Abishek chose drives and cuts.
They also rotated the strike amidst encouraging support from three thousand partisan spectators.
The defiant stand ended with spinner Dharmendra Jadeja having Shahbaz, who had a reprieve as a catch off Prerak Mankad was disallowed prior to lunch, caught at short-leg at the stroke of tea.
Batting on 42, Abhishek used DRS to survive an lbw decision and get his second consecutive half-century. He departed soon, playing Jani to first slip.
Dharmendra and Unadkat, who secured three wickets to claim 300 Ranji wickets, closed the Bengal innings early in the final session.
Saurashtra had a flying start as Harvik Desai hammered the wayward Bengal pacers. Akash Deep and Mukesh Kumar got a wicket a piece to limit the damage.
- Y. B. Sarangi
Bengal – 1st innings: Sumanta Gupta c Jackson b Sakariya 1, Abhimanyu Easwaran c Gohil b Unadkat 0, Sudip Gharami b Sakariya 0, Anustup Majumdar c Desai b Jani 16, Manoj Tiwary c Vishvaraj b Unadkat 7, Akash Ghatak c Unadkat b Sakariya 17, Shahbaz Ahmed c Vishvaraj b Dharmendra 69, Abishek Porel c Mankad b Jani 50, Akash Deep c Unadkat b Dharmendra 4, Mukesh Kumar c&b Unadkat 1, Ishan Porel (not out) 0, Extras (lb-7, nb-2) 9, Total (in 54.1 overs) 174
Fall of wickets: 1-1, 2-1, 3-2, 4-17, 5-34, 6-65, 7-166, 8-172, 9-174
Saurashtra bowling: Unadkat 13.1-3-44-3, Sakariya 13-4-33-3, Jani 11-2-33-2, Mankad 11-4-38-0, Dharmendra 6-1-19-2
Saurashtra – 1st innings: Harvik Desai (batting) 38, Jay Gohil b Akash Deep 6, Vishvaraj Jadeja c Abishek b Mukesh 25, Chetan Sakariya (batting) 2, Extras (b-5, lb-1, nb-4) 10, Total (for two wickets in 17 overs) 81
Fall of wickets: 1-38, 2-73; Bengal bowling: Mukesh 6-1-23-1, Akash Deep 8-1-28-1, Ghatak 1-0-10-0, Ishan 1-0-12-0, Shahbaz 1-0-2-0.
- Palestinian football team prepares for World Cup qualifying games against a backdrop of war
- NZ vs SL: Rachin Ravindra breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most runs in single edition of ODI World Cup before age 25
- Premier League: VAR controversies prompt calls for action
- Podcast | India’s Hockey Women’s Asian Champions Trophy triumph and what it means for the side’s Paris Olympics ambitions
- Europa League 2023: Liverpool deserved to lose, says Klopp