Henriques in, Maxwell out of Australia's ODI squad for SL

All-rounder Moises Henriques and batsman Shaun Marsh find a spot in the 15-man Australian squad announced for the One-Day International series to commence later in August.

Moises Henriques last played international cricket 18 months ago.   -  S. Subramanium

All-rounder Moises Henriques and batsman Shaun Marsh find a spot in the 15-man Australian squad announced for the One-Day International (ODI) series to commence later in August. Glenn Maxwell, the middle-order batsman, is left out.

"We know Glenn can be a match-winner for Australia but his current form doesn't warrant selection," chief selector Rod Marsh said. "He is averaging less than 10 runs in Australia's last 10 one-day internationals, so the numbers speak for themselves.

"We've asked Glenn to go away and focus on consistent performances for his state side Victoria and Australia A to earn his way back into the Australian side."

Henriques makes his return to the side after last playing for Australia against England in Hobart in January last year. "Moises comes off some great form in the Indian Premier League and we think he is well-suited to these conditions," Marsh said.

Australia will play five ODIs against Sri Lanka, beginning on August 21 in Colombo.

Australia squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner, George Bailey, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Usman Khawaja, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa.

(With inputs from agencies)