Joe Root was signed by Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 1 crore in the IPL 2023 auction in Kochi on Friday. He was initially unsold but taken later in the accelerated auction.
The player was registered at a base price of Rs. 1 crore and no teams made bids. Rajasthan Royals was the only team to make a bid on the rerun.
Root went unsold in the 2018 IPL auction and has never featured in the T20 league. Root has also been away from the T20 set up with the Three Lions. His last appearance for England in a T20I was in May 2019.
However, Root played a key role in England’s runner-up finish in the 2016 T20 World Cup, scoring 249 runs at an average of 49.8 and striking at 146.47.
The player can be called back to the auction at the request of the teams.
- Euro 2024 qualifiers: Croatia secures final automatic qualifying spot, France held by Greece
- Russia, IOC clash at the UN before member states pass Olympic Truce for Paris 2024 Games
- World champion Lyles, Britain’s Wightman to run at Boston indoor meet
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers: Ziyech strikes as Morocco wins while Ghana, South Africa crash
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers: Argentina beats Brazil 1-0 to go top of table after crowd violence delays start